No Products in the Cart
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and we can’t stop thinking about how to style for the big night. Love is in the air, and we feel more strongly about our favorite palettes, lipsticks, and liners every year!
Whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day with your partner or your friends, it’s time to celebrate, and with so many Valentine’s Day looks to choose from, deciding how to apply your makeup can seem impossible.
As always, we’re here for you – narrow down your search for perfection with our three favorite makeup looks for Valentine’s Day:
1. Sexy Smoky Eyes
The ultimate eyeshadow looks, a smoky eye is timeless, versatile, and sure to suit you no matter your face and eye shape.
The key to a breath-taking smoky eye is understanding your eye shape. Here’s a quick overview of the most common eye-shapes and the smoky style to suit:
• Close-set eyes: focus light colored shadow on the inside and dark on the outside, extending the surface of the color as you move outwards
• Wide-set eyes: ‘pull’ eyes closer, minimizing the gap – the trick is to blend your darker shadow inward
• Mono-lid eyes (lids are more of a flat surface): start with a dark liner and fade your smoky shadow colors from the darkness of the liner upwards
• Hooded eyes: avoid using too much dark shadow – use highlights to open your eyes
• Deep-set eyes: balance your features – avoid applying dark shadow all over your lids
• Prominent eyes: use a thick liner along the lash-line, and apply the darkest shade to the middle of your lids
• Downturned eyes: lift the corners of your eyes with a cat-eye, then blend out with smoky shadow
• Upturned eyes: emphasize your lift by splitting your lids into two sections, with the darker shade on the outside
These tips work no matter which color you choose for your smoky eye. If you’re aiming for something that’s timeless and a little special, try Prima’s Shade and Sparkle palette, which is bursting with shimmering neutral tones and promises to enhance any skin tone.
For a truly memorable look, update your smoky eye with Technic’s The Heat is On palette – a selection of browns, oranges, and reds, perfect for a luxurious Valentine’s Day date night.
2. A Timeless Red Lip
We’re going to say it – red lipstick is the most iconic makeup look of all time. It’s a favorite of modern and historic icons in film, music, and culture, and dates back to the ancient times of Cleopatra. That’s right – the Egyptian queen is reported to have mixed a red lipstick formula using beetles and ants!
If you’re looking to draw a little attention to yourself and exude confidence this Valentine’s Day, this is the look to go for. Here are some things to think about when you’re choosing a red lipstick:
• Texture: gloss, matte or sheer? Choose a texture to match your mood and style
• Shade: the perfect red will make your complexion glow and your teeth shine. It can take years to find your perfect red lipstick, but there are some all-round shades which will suit most. Try Clinique’s Pop Lip Colour & Primer in Cherry Pop
• Prep: your lips, like the rest of your face, look their best when they’re well hydrated. Use a lip scrub and a balm before you apply your red to combat dryness and ensure a perfect pout
• Apply: color, blot, color – apply one layer of red, then blot with tissue paper to remove any product that hasn’t stuck to your lips, and apply a second layer of color
Follow these steps, and you’re guaranteed a dazzling red lip with extra staying power!
3. Natural Romance
Think peachy pink tones and a dewy finish. This look is versatile, making it perfect whether you’re spending Valentine’s Day with the girls or heading out on a laid-back date.
Skincare is at the heart of a natural makeup look, so make sure you set the groundwork the night before. Use a cleanser to wash your face thoroughly and follow with a good-quality moisturizer before you go to bed. You’ll wake up with skin that looks fresh, feels hydrated, and is a stunning base for your minimal Valentine’s Day makeup.
Here are some tips to creating a natural, romantic look that’s perfect for a casual night out:
• Keep it light: if you feel confident enough, switch your usual heavy foundation for a lighter product with a dewy finish. If you need a little more coverage, try Clarins Pore Perfecting Mattifying Foundation for flawless, natural-looking skin.
• Enhance your features: nobody has a face that’s quite the same as yours, and that’s something to celebrate! Apply a touch of highlighter to your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose and the top of your Cupid’s bow to draw attention to your unique features. Try NARS The Multiple Stick – the multi-purpose product that we can’t live without!
• Add a flush of color: a dab of blusher creates instant warmth and brings any look together. Try Daniel Sandler’s multi-award-winning Watercolour Liquid Blush, which is not only easy to blend and build on but contains ultra-nourishing Jojoba oil and Vitamin E.
If you’re going for natural romance this Valentine’s Day, remember, less is more! Make the most of your natural beauty and enjoy the night no matter how you’re spending it.